Sunday 11 November 2012

Least We Forget


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


 Today is Remembrance Day

This day is a memorial day to remember those who died in the line of duty in World War 1.

The red poppy has become the familiar embalm due to the poem ' In Flanders Fields'. The poppies bloomed across the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War 1, the red colour of the poppies an appropriate symbol of the blood that was shed.

We hold a two minute silence on the first stroke of 11am. I held my silence.... did you?

So today's mani signifies Remembrance Day

I wanted to do a mani that showed that i was thinking about those who have died for us and wanted something that stood out.

Colours i used:

China Glaze - White On White (White)
Dollish Polish - Baby Gravy (Pearlescent white)
Collection 2000 - Big Hair (Red)
Stargazer - 115 (Gold)
Barry M - Black
Collection 2000 - Ninja (Green)
Collection 2000 - Dusk (Dark Green)

I started with my base coat, the two coats of China Glaze white on white followed by Dollish Polish Baby Gravy. I thought the White On White was a little too in your face and i like the sparkly shimmer of Baby Gravy.
I then used my dotting tool to outline the big poppy on my thumb with the Stargazer gold. And repeated the process with Big Hair to create a smaller poppy within the gold poppy. Giving it a beautiful gold outline. Using the other smaller end of the dotting tool i applied the Black for the centre of the flower.
On all my fingers i again used my dotting tool and created small red dots to replicate the poppies. With the other smaller end added my black centres.
To give the effect of grass and stems i took a nail art brush and dipped it alternatively in the two greens and striped it on.
All finished of with a few coats of Seche Vite.

I'm really proud of how these nails have turned out as for the last few days Ive really had to rack my brains on what to do. But Remembrance Day has given me the perfect inspiration for what i wanted to do.



Hope you all like them :)


2 comments:

  1. Seriously amazing, your best yet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! Really effective & eye-catching X

    ReplyDelete